Saturday, July 20, 2024
6.3 C
- Advertisement -

Slip and slide conditions for RDFNL

Popular Stories

Jo Kubeil
Jo Kubeil
Jo Kubeil has recently joined the North Central Review team as a journalist, with interests in Indigenous culture, community services, and environmentalism. Jo has previously worked as an entrepreneur, designing apparel to help people feel dressed for success.

It was cold and slippery at the weekend when Romsey hosted Wallan in the Riddell District Football Netball League (RDFNL).

Wallan Seniors welcomed former AFL St Kilda player Jake Carlisle to the team, and the tall player did not disappoint.

Carlisle posted a major for Wallan in just under two minutes. The home side had multiple shots at the goal, but the roar came from the visitors at the first term siren, 3 to 16.

- Advertisement -

The second quarter was even colder. Wallan quickly put a point on the scoreboard, and Romsey made a comeback. Although it was a low scoring quarter, the ball was hotly contested and each side scored a point and a goal, 10 to 23.

The third quarter looked promising for the Redbacks when they kicked back-to-back goals, but Wallan contested the ball fiercely and scored a goal at the 24-minute mark, securing a 10-point lead. 23 to 33.

In the final muddy and cold term, the home side kicked a point at the 18-minute mark, but it was not enough, and the consistent effort from the visitors kept the ball at their end and roped in the 26-point win.

The final score was 3.6 (24) to 6.14 (50).

Wallan assistant coach Spencer Mathieson said it was a very contested game with many stoppages.

“Both sides’ commitment in the wet conditions was excellent,” he said.

“Our better players were Corey Viani, Chris Stewart, Owen Fowler, Sean Morris, Jacob Langborne, Matthew Perri.

“Next week we play reigning premiers Diggers Rest who are in top two, we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

Earlier in the Reserves match, Romsey defeated Wallan by a narrow margin of two points.

Lancefield V Woodend-Hesket

The fire was roaring at the gate but it was a slow start on the oval.

The home side scored the first goal at the nine-minute mark and another at the end of the first term.

In the second term, the Tigers made every effort to keep the ball at their end, but Woodend made a thrilling comeback, kicking three back-to-back goals and four points, 21 to 23.

In a low scoring second half, each side valiantly played on in tough conditions, but the visitors stole the lead with a late goal. At the siren, Lancefield was defeated by Woodend Hesket 4.5 (29) to 4.8 (32).

Earlier in the Reserves match, Lancefield defeated Woodend Hesket with a convincing 22-point win.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement Mbl -

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles