A Digital Journalist at the North Central Review will play a key role in creating compelling content for and co-ordinating our news website and social media accounts.
The successful candidate will be an effective communicator and thrive in working with a small team of journalists, advertising staff, and graphic designers to create engaging digital content.
The role is part-time [22 hours per week], and is mostly weekday work, but may require some flexibility at times. Initially for a 12-month contract, with the possibility of ongoing employment.
The North Central Review is an independent community news organisation, based in Kilmore, one hour north of Melbourne. We publish two weekly newspapers – North Central Review and Whittlesea Review, as well as daily digital content.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to set the way forward and make a real difference in a collaborative environment, where you can lead digital innovation and further grow our online mediums.
Reporting into the Editor, the role will involve:
- Writing for and producing content for our website and social media.
- Pitching and writing original stories, with a local focus, including breaking news.
- Creating visual concepts to accompany reporting.
- Creating and editing content for our WordPress news website, working with fellow journalists to produce digital news in a timely manner.
- Plan digital campaigns – using our website, SEO/SEM, email and social media.
- Build online engagement through our social media accounts, focusing on Facebook, and introducing EDMs through establishing a sound database.
- Work with our sales staff to create and co-ordinate any advertising opportunities.
- Identify trends and insights, and optimize spend and performance based on insights.
To be successful in the role, your application will need to demonstrate:
- Experience in writing and editing original digital stories.
- An understanding of media law, as well as the importance of balance and impartiality.
- Understanding of digital storytelling, how people consume news through digital and social mediums.
- A commitment to maintaining editorial integrity and high standards of accuracy.
- An interest in visual storytelling, and staying across new developments and trends in journalism and digital media, using innovative ways to reach and engage wider audiences.
- A passion for teamwork and collaboration, excellent organisational skills to manage competing priorities, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify revenue opportunities for the business through digital and social media.
To apply, email your CV and cover letter to Lauren Duffy, General Manager/ Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close May 6, 2022.