Home Blog Page 1115

Ranges protected

STRENGTHENED planning controls will see the Macedon Ranges protected from over-development for years to come.

Minister for Planning Richard Wynne declared the region a distinctive area under the Planning and Environment Amendment (Distinctive Areas and Landscapes) Act 2018 on August 16, fulfilling the state government’s election promise.

The highest level of planning controls are now available to protect the rich diversity of environment and cultural treasures in our region including the iconic Hanging Rock, Mt Macedon, the Wombat State Forest and Mt William and the Stone Axe Quarry

Settlement boundaries around townships in the area, including Gisborne, Kyneton, Romsey, Riddells Creek, Lancefield and Woodend are being finalized and will ensure urban development doesn’t encroach on valued natural landscapes.

Once established, these boundaries will be subject to the same rigorous protections of Melbourne’s permanent Urban Growth Boundary – and can only be altered with the approval of both houses of the Victorian Parliament.

Over 140 people attended community sessions as part of the consultation process. The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning in consultation with the Macedon Ranges Shire is now finalising the Statement of Planning Policy.

A new Statement of Planning Policy will incorporate feedback, including a clear identification of the local features and areas of state significance to be protected, clear definitions of settlement boundaries, a clearer explanation of the rigorous planning and steps required to change a settlement boundary, incorporation of traditional knowledge and practices for biodiversity and land management, greater consideration for climate change and environmental risks such as bushfire and flooding, and a higher priority on protecting the region’s landscapes, environmental values, and cultural heritage.

The government will continue to work closely with community, the Macedon Ranges Shire Council, Traditional Owners and key stakeholders to ensure the policy reflects the community’s vision for the future of the Macedon Ranges.

Member for Macedon Mary-Anne Thomas said this will protect the charm and beauty of the Macedon Ranges for generations to come.

“Local residents know and understand this unique area better than anyone and they’ve been at the forefront of shaping the final planning statement,” she said.

“We promised to legislate and we did that. The Macedon Ranges is now a distinctive area, the Macedon Ranges is now protected.

“Planning is complicated, but what we achieved is a Victoria milestone and I’m very proud to have delivered it.”

Safety upgrade for Whittlesea intersection

THE Wallan Road intersection in Whittlesea is receiving its much-needed safety upgrade with works commencing last week.

The $2.9 million upgrade to the intersection of Plenty Road and Wallan Road will see traffic lights installed to improve safety and traffic flow.

The improved intersection will also feature pedestrian operated crossings, better street lighting, a dedicated bike lane from Plenty Road to Macmeikan Street and extended footpaths.

Raised platforms will slow drivers on all approaches to the intersection making it safer and reducing the risk of crashes.

Plenty Road is an important north to south link, connecting Greensborough to the south and Whittlesea to the north.

The Plenty Road, Wallan Road, Macmeikan Street and Laurel Street intersection is close to Whittlesea Primary School, residents and local shops and currently operates with give way signs instead of traffic signals.

Member for Yan Yean, Danielle Green, inspected the works last week and said that the upgrades will reduce congestion and improve traffic flow through the intersection and make it safer for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists.

“These improvements will make this busy intersection safer for the thousands of drivers, cyclists and pedestrians who rely on it every day,” Ms Green said.

“We know how frustrating it is to be stuck in traffic – that’s why we’re investing in projects like the Yan Yean Road upgrade, Plenty Road upgrade and at this important intersection to improve traffic flow and keep people safe,” She added.

Long-time advocate for the upgrade, Kris Richmond said that the works would finally see a safe environment for the school children who use the crossings each day.

“It has been a long time coming but now the works have commenced we can all look forward to safer roads in this part of Whittlesea she said.

Almost 10,000 drivers pass through this intersection every day and it’s been the scene of six recorded crashes since 2014. Works are expected to be completed by the end of this year.

Joining Ms Green to inspect the start of the works were Ms Richmond her son Nat, Whittlesea Primary School principal, Ty Hoggins, students Margaret and Willow and VicRoads project engineers. There were no City of Whittlesea councillors at the event.

BREAKING: Car stolen containing baby

UPDATE: Police have released images of the man police believe can assist with their enquiries.

POLICE are currently searching for an offender who stole a car containing an eight-week-old baby this morning (August 31).

Investigators have been told the Hyundai Tucson was taken from the vicinity of a medical centre on Bush Blvd, Mill Park around 10.20am.

The car was later located at a Home Maker Centre at 10.40am on Plenty Road, Mill Park with the baby boy who appears to have been unharmed and asleep in the car.

Police are searching for a man perceived to be Caucasian, with light olive skin, wearing a black t-shirt with white motive on the front, a Khaki coloured baseball cap, sunglasses,  grey tracksuit pants, white runners and appears to be carrying a sachel or handbag and has a medium build.

His Last known direction was west from the intersection of McDonalds and Plenty Roads.

Anyone with information is urged to call 000.

Light up Lancefield

LANCEFIELD is one of two Macedon Ranges football clubs appealing to the community to back their projects in the state government’s Pick My Project initiative.

Lancefield Football Netball Club is looking for funding to go towards lighting upgrade to light the entire ground and make training nights easier.

Lancefield Oval currently plays host to the Tigers’ seven junior and senior football teams with the five junior teams having to share the ground on Wednesday and Friday nights.

The club is also looking to introduce a women’s football team next season, which would crowd the ground further if the club is unable to upgrade the oval’s lights.

Lancefield president Clark Todd said the current lighting system at Lancefield Oval is a hand-me-down from Essendon Airport the club received more than 20 years ago and doesn’t cover the entire field, leaving a few dark pockets that can’t be trained in.

“It would help if we could use the whole ground effectively. It can be hard to see the ball at night when you’re doing a full-ground session,” he said.

“Some of them have to train in the dark spots. It’s as simple as that, which is less than ideal because you don’t want to get hit in the head by a football because you can’t see.

“It’s something every other oval has got, so why are we left in the dark?”

The cost of a full lighting upgrade has been quoted at nearly $250,000 which means Lancefield Football Netball Club will still need to find the rest of the funding with the Pick My Project funding capped at $200,000 per project.

“We’re looking for somebody to help us with the lot of funding. We’re talking to everybody. I’ve spoken both [Member for Macedon] Mary-Anne Thomas and [Liberal candidate] Amanda Millar,” Mr Todd added.

“We’re working to get funding to cover the shortfall but that’s if we get picked. If we don’t get picked then we’re back to square one again.”

Mernda hits the rails

THE Mernda Rail extension, complete with three new stations, opened for passengers last Sunday — six months ahead of schedule.

The $600 million rail extension with three new stations at Mernda, Hawkstowe and Middle Gorge will make it easier for local families to travel.

The new line is the result of almost 18 months of construction work along the rail corridor that has seen around 1,200 construction jobs created and more than 1,800 jobs created in other industries.

More than 100 young apprentices, cadets and trainees have worked on site, many for whom this has been their first role in the industry.

Finishing touches, such as landscaping around the stations, will continue to be made over coming months.

The three new stations are expected to cater for up to 8,000 commuters a day, using 2,000 new car parks to help ease congestion along Plenty Road. New shared walking and cycling paths will connect the stations and provide alternative transport options.

Mernda Station will give passengers access to 982 services to the city every week, with two new and seven realigned bus routes connecting passengers with the three new stations on the Mernda line.

Sun sets on dodgy clauses

VICTORIANS will be protected from the sunset clause if they choose to buy off-the-plan following a historic announcement last week.

The state government will make changes to the infamous sunset clause in the Sale of Land Amendment Bill 2018 with vendors set to be forced to gain consent from the buyer or a supreme court.

These clauses can be deliberately exploited to force the termination of contracts allowing developers to sell land or apartments again, at a higher price.

The would-be buyers appear to get their deposit back but are effectively priced out of the housing market.

The City of Whittlesea has welcomed news that the state government will protect Victorians buying property off-the-plan, restricting the use of sunset clauses.

Council recently wrote to the government and opposition Leader recently seeking changes to the law to prevent developers abusing sunset clauses.

Mayor Kris Pavlidis said some developers had been taking advantage of the sunset clause.

“We were aware this issue was affecting not just our residents but land buyers across Victoria,” she said.

“So we resolved at a Council meeting in June to write to the minister and also to raise awareness in our community about this issue.”

Cr Pavlidis said she was thrilled with the news that changes would be made through the Sale of Land Amendment Bill 2018.

“It’s wonderful news that the State Government has listened to its community and made the necessary changes,” she continued.

“We are pleased to hear that off-the-plan contracts will no longer be able to be terminated by a vendor under a sunset clause without the written consent of the purchaser or by order of the Supreme Court of Victoria.

“We are confident these changes will go a long way to protecting our residents.”

Pokies push goes up a gear

THE Pokies Play You Campaign has gone up another notch with signs showing up around the City of Whittlesea.

The council’s push to make everyone aware of the struggles of pokie addiction includes the signs (pictured) in order to help people understand the issue.

If you or anyone you know needs help, call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Bus demand mounts

PRESSURE is mounting on the Minister for Transport, Jacinta Allen, to take a serious look at introducing a bus service into Hidden Valley with Mitchell Shire Council being the latest voice urging the minister into action.

In a letter to Ms Allen, obtained by the North Central Review, Mitchell Shire Mayor Rhonda Sanderson, said that while the extended services in and around Wallan were welcomed, areas such as Hidden Valley still need transport services.

“We (council) recognise the importance of creating connections within the community and public transport is a key priority,” Cr Sanderson wrote.

Cr Sanderson added that council ‘strongly supports’ the matter raised by Member for Yan Yean, in State Parliament recently.

Ms Green in an adjournment speech urged the Minister for Transport to act on the matter.

“I seek action on behalf of the residents living in the Hidden Valley estate in Wallan who need bus services. I know that Geoff Clarke from the Hidden Valley Association has written to the minister on behalf of the residents — as he has written to me — pleading for bus services for Hidden Valley,” Ms Green said.

“People living in the estate would like to be able to get a bus to the shops and to the train station. The minister is no stranger to Wallan and to Donnybrook. Last year she held a forum to listen to Wallan residents. Immediately after it, in last year’s state budget it was announced that Wallan would get new bus services.

“They have recently rolled out to a number of new estates, but I think that Public Transport Victoria just found it difficult to stretch the budget to include Hidden Valley. I know that those in Hidden Valley are really crying out for public transport.

“There are bus services that takes students to school, but there is no service for others. I urge the minister to act, and I look forward to a response from her,” Ms Green added.

Hidden Valley was established in 1999 and is presently home to some 700 families. Over the years a number of attempts have been made for a public transport service. So far those requests have fallen on deaf ears.

Liberal for Yan Yean, Meralyn Klein, said that the electorate is the biggest growth corridor in the North. Adding around 10,000 new residents to the area over the last four years.

“Bus services are key links for communities, connecting people with destinations. I fully support the introduction of bus services to and from Hidden Valley. This is a major, growing part of the district and these services are vital to this community,” Ms Klein said.

“I am committed to fighting for this bus service to be implemented, and have the PTV solve the perceived access issues in Hidden Valley, particularly as school bus services already run in this area.”

At this stage the Minister of Public Transport Jacinta Allan has not responded to the questions Ms Green raised in Parliament.

In an earlier statement published in the North Central Review on August 7, Member for Northern Victoria, Jaclyn Symes said while it would have been ‘great’ to have Hidden Valley included in the additional bus routes, advice from PTV meant for now it wasn’t feasible.

Macedon Ranges’ $3.3m surplus

MACEDON Ranges Shire Council ended the financial year on a high, carrying a $3.3 million surplus into 2018-19.

The majority of the surplus came from council saving $1.835 million on its operating budget, which includes expenditure categories such as employee costs, insurance premiums and legal costs, these were lower than budget, while income from the use of council services was higher than anticipated.

Council was already $1.1 million in surplus at the end of the calendar year, ahead of the councillor directed savings target of $925,000.

Money was also saved on capital projects with council retaining $375,000 from projects that were delivered at a lower cost than budgeted for or projects that were deferred indefinitely.

Council’s Corporate Service Director John Hausler said savings were made from a number of projects costing less than anticipated and the deferral of a roads project on Willowbank Road in Gisborne.

“Budgets are never 100 per cent accurate. If you’re 100 per cent, you’re doing pretty well,” he said.

“We put a budget in place and see what occurs. In this instance, it resulted in us having a surplus and now we’re in a position to see how we can utilise that in the best interest of the community.

“Our officers’ main recommendation was to reduce debt and put money to projects already on the books that they identified might need some more funding.”

The surplus has allowed council to reduce the loan for the Hanging Rock East Paddock development from $1 million to zero, while money will also be allocated to 16 projects across the shire.

The big winners from the surplus were the Gilbert Gordon Reserve pavilion, which received an additional $450,000 and the Lauriston Road bridge works in Kyneton which got a $280,000 boost.

Other projects to receive additional or new funding include the Romsey and Riddells Creek Kindergarten and Maternal and Child Health Centre upgrades ($228,000) and the Riddells Creek Tennis Court lighting and redevelopment ($80,000).

Council was also able to bring its $510,000 kerbside bin replacement program, which was originally planned for 2019-20, forward to this financial year.

The remaining $693,000 of the surplus has not been allocated at this stage and will become available for future allocation to councillor priorities.

Without a prayer

MACEDON Ranges Shire Council meetings will no longer open with a prayer after a motion was carried at the most recent council meeting on Wednesday night.

Councillor Natasha Gayfer moved the motion, saying the 2016 Census showed how the demographics of the shire had changed.

Statistics from the Census showed 22,396 of the Macedon Ranges Shire’s 46,100 residents at the time of the Census don’t identify as Christians and 17,050 are not religious at all.

Cr Gayfer said she would like to open council meetings with something that addresses people of all beliefs.

“I would like to see council meetings open in a way that is more encompassing of the range of beliefs in our shire,” she said.

Vicar of Gisborne, Riddells Creek and Macedon Anglican Churches, Father Dennis Webster said while the church would ideally like council to start meetings with prayer, at the end of the day, councils exist to serve the community.

“If they’re prepared to make an affirmation, whether religious or non-religious, surely it should be for the betterment of the community,” he said.

“Even though nearly 50 per cent may not identify as Christian, it’s important to safeguard the beliefs of those in the community for whom faith is a very important part of their life.”

“While ideally the church would like to see a prayer retained start council meetings, we also understand the changing nature of the community.”

It was also resolved that officers should prepare a draft opening affirmation to reflect the responsibilities of Councillors and officers, to be brought back to a Councillor Briefing by 31 October 2018.

While councillors were mostly in favour of the motion, there was conjecture about removing the prayer without having an affirmation of sorts ready to replace the prayer.

The motion passed with Mayor Jennifer Anderson, and Councillors Gayfer, Bill West, Helen Radnedge, Andrew Twaits and Janet Pearce in favour and Councillors Mandi Mees, Roger Jukes and Henry Bleeck opposed.