Friday, June 14, 2024
10.2 C
Kilmore
- Advertisement -

Funding secured for second stage of Macedon Ranges precinct

Popular Stories

The North Central Review
The North Central Reviewhttps://ncreview.com.au/
The North Central Review is an independently owned newspaper publishing company based in Kilmore that is responsible for publishing two community newspapers each week, covering communities within the Mitchell Shire

A second stage of the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct has been secured through confirmation of a 2021 election funding commitment.

Following construction starting last year and builder Monaco Hickey taking on the works in June 2023 following the liquidation of the original building company, the first stage is progressing well.

A three-court sports hub, natural turf oval and sports pavilion, passive recreation facilities, landscaping and associated infrastructure forms stage one of the project, and is on track for completion by May, 2024.

- Advertisement -

A $15 million investment from the Federal Government, alongside $2 million from Macedon Ranges Shire council, will expand on the first stage to include the extension of the sports hub with three more multi-sport courts, more amenities, a second AFL/cricket oval, two outdoor sports courts, more car parking and landscaping.

Federal Member for McEwen Rob Mitchell, left, Federal Minister for Regional Development, Local Government and Territories Kristy McBain, Macedon Ranges Shire Council Mayor Annette Death and Macedon Ranges Shire Council chief executive Bernie O’Sullivan.

Mayor Annette Death welcomed confirmation of the stage two funding, which would unlock further benefits for user groups and the community.

“These new, modern facilities will ultimately mean that more people can actively participate in the sports and recreational activities that they enjoy, both now and for generations to come,” she said.

“I’d like to thank the Australian Government for its support to make the next stage a reality, and I’d also like to thank all our other funding contributors – including the Victorian Government, Melbourne Water and AFL Victoria – for helping us to get the first stage off the ground.”

The $27.5 million first stage – a revised costing from April 2023 – includes funding contributions from council, $14.8 million from the State Government, $343,200 from Melbourne Water and $100,000 from AFL Victoria.

The council-managed precinct will open to the public with limited use following the completion of stage one works.

The revised stage two of the precinct is currently being tendered out for detailed design and documentation, with construction targeted to start in late 2024 or early 2025.

Attendees tour the inside of the new sports hub under construction.

Council is continuing to advocate for $8 million of funding needed to secure a third stage of works, which would include other upgrades within the precinct’s master plan such as retractable seating in stadiums, a sports pavilion extension and cricket nets.

“The funding we have will still result in a variety of excellent facilities for the community, but a third stage would mean getting the most out of the space and expanding what is on offer,” Cr Death said.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement Mbl -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles