Administrators of Colmont School will meet with families tonight to discuss the Kilmore school’s impending closure.
Administrators will give a statement on the school being placed into administration and families will have an opportunity to ask general questions.
Fellow Kilmore schools Assumption College and St Patrick’s Primary School have opened their doors today to families left scrambling to find their children a school, after it was announced year levels three to 10 would finish on Friday.
Assumption College will remain open until 8pm tonight for families to meet senior staff and receive information about enrolment. Online applications are available at www.assumption.vic.edu.au.
St Patrick’s Primary School will have staff available at their front office area until 6pm tonight and during school hours in the coming weeks for families looking to enrol. Information on enrolment is available at www.spkilmore.catholic.edu.au.
Former chairman of Colmont’s board of directors Rod Dally told the Review today the school, which housed international boarders, had been unable to recover financially from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Review understand there is currently about 30 boarders at the school.
“The root cause of this is the locked borders and losing a substantial number of students who couldn’t come back because of COVID-19,” he said.
“Although we’ve been working hard to recoup the finances, we weren’t able to this year. About 50 of our students went home and didn’t come back, and that killed our finances.
“We’ve been working actively to try and correct that. A lot has happened in the past 12 months, but the critical factor by a long shot was COVID-19.”
Voluntary administrators Ian Grant and Paul Langdon, from corporate insolvency firm Vince and Associates, will oversee the day-to-day operation of the school while it is under administration.
Mr Grant said the administrators would examine the finances of the school more thoroughly in coming days.
“The school was running out of funds and sought additional funding from the commonwealth and state governments, as well as finance from banking institutions and private lending,” he said.
“As additional government funding and finance was not forthcoming, the board of directors could not continue because the school was insolvent, or likely to become insolvent.
“Paul Langdon and myself were appointed voluntary administrators of Colmont School on July 26. Upon reviewing the funds the school has available to it, we have made the decision for year three to year 10 to finish their schooling this Friday and to prioritise years 11 and 12 to continue at the school until we can transition them to other schools.”
Mr Grant said his first focus was supporting Colmont’s year 11 and 12 students.
“We’re not sure [how long it will take for year 11 and 12 students to transition to other schools]. You can’t force a parent and a student to go to a particular institution, but there will certainly be a period of time that we’ll keep their education going here,” he said.
Earlier
Colmont School, formerly The Kilmore International School, has been placed into administration.
Students in years three to 10 will finish this Friday. Years 11 and 12 are expected to continue for a short time, while arrangements are made for students to transition to other schools.
Some parents attended a meeting on Wednesday evening about the school going into administration, but many families were not notified about the meeting.
Teachers and staff were told about the plans on Wednesday afternoon.
Families were notified that the school was placed in administration late on Wednesday by an email from the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority, a State Government body that regulates Victoria’s education and training.
“The administrators will decide about how long the school and school boarding premises will continue to operate. When they have made this decision, they will tell you,” the email said.
“We understand that this will be unexpected and distressing news for your family.”
An attachment to the email included vague information about next steps, options, and help available.
“If the school closes, you will need to choose an alternative school for your child and enrol your child at that school. Your child is able to attend their designated neighbourhood government school (local school) or another government school of their choice, provided that school has sufficient space to accommodate them.”
The Review understands other schools in the shire were not warned about Colmont’s impending closure.
Colmont’s year 12 students study the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, IBDP, course.
Fewer than 25 schools in Victoria offer the IBDP – the closest in Melbourne’s inner northern suburbs.
The school announced in May it would change its name as it did not own The Kilmore International School naming rights.
It also announced the intention to move from the current White Street Kilmore premises, which it does not own.
The land on which the school sits was sold in 2019, bought by a Chinese company from the school’s founder Ray Wittmer.