THE ODOUR from a mushroom farm caused a school in Doreen to enact their evacuation plan this morning after reports of a gas leak on Friday morning.
Country Fire Authority (CFA) Doreen captain Chris Maries confirmed with the Whittlesea Review crews attended Hazel Glen College following the concerns at about 9.30am.
“We got a call after there were reports of a gas leak in a classroom but when we got on scene there were reports of it being widespread,” he said.
“We sent crews in different directions to try ascertain what was going on… there was no evidence of any gas leak but comprised waste compost was turned over at 7.30am on a mushroom farm.
“This happens from time to time, the smell is more earthy than natural gas.”
Paramedics checked a number of students but each patient was cleared of any issue.