By Colin MacGillivray

KILMORE’S Northern Football Netball League division three season is back on track after a convincing 55-point win against Lalor on Saturday.

The Blues got off on the wrong foot with a four-point loss to Laurimar in round one, but came out with a point to prove in their 12.17 (89) to 5.4 (34) victory over the Bloods.

A three-goal performance by best-on-ground Chris Barton set up the win, with Kilmore racing to a 40-point lead by half time and coasting to the line.

Chris Ryall and Leigh Irons also earned plaudits from coach Nathan Phillips, while Michael McCulloch helped give the Kilmore midfield first use of the ball.

It was that dominance in the middle that most pleased Phillips.

“The game was won in the midfield. Our ruckman gave us first use and our mids did really well in the clearances and got it down quickly to give us one-on-one opportunities inside 50,” he said.

“It was good to get a win on the board after coming close in round one.

“The main focus of the week was making sure we got the win, so it was good to get it and kick-start the year.”

An away game against undefeated South Morang looms for the Blues this weekend, and Phillips said his players would need to step up to the challenge.

“They beat us in a semi-final in 2019, so we’ll be looking to make amends for that this week but it will take our best footy,” he said.

“We got through unscathed, which was good, so hopefully we go in with an unchanged line-up.”

The weekend was also a good one for Laurimar, which pulverised a hapless Reservoir to win 25.25 (175) to 0.2 (2).

Josh Williamson starred up forward with eight goals for the Power, while Mark Mura, Jake Richards, Kaiden Arthur, Jacob Lawson and Ethan Gorski were also among the best.

Mernda could not match the firepower of Heidelberg West in a 15.10 (100) to 8.9 (57) loss despite the best efforts of Jacob Austin, Tanar Pierce and Shannon Smith.

The Demons will host the Power in a City of Whittlesea grudge match this weekend.

In division one, Whittlesea could not get its first win on the board despite a spirited effort against Heidelberg.

The Eagles were only 11 points adrift of the Tigers at the final change but scored only one behind in the final term as they went down 12.15 (87) to 8.7 (55).

Max Dyson was a standout for Whittlesea, while Clancy Bland made an impact on the scoreboard with three goals.

A potential first win is on offer this Saturday when the Eagles travel to Yulong Reserve to take on Bundoora at 2.10pm.