The North Central Review is an award-winning newspaper based in Kilmore and has a position available for a cadet journalist – year 1, 2 or 3 – depending on skills and experience.
The role would suit a person who has completed their VCE and is interested in pursuing a career in journalism, or is studying journalism at university (part-time position, flexible hours available for the right candidate).
Applicants should possess a genuine interest in people, an ease with talking to people, and an enquiring mind.
Main duties and responsibilities:
This position will allow the right applicant to develop skills in journalism, creating content that is both engaging and relevant to our local community. You will be mentored by the editor and other journalists in the process of writing general news and sport stories, taking photographs, proof reading and creating other content for our print and digital products.
You will also have the opportunity to undertake a Community Journalism course through Deakin University.
• Successful completion of VCE – strong understanding of the English language and its correct use.
• Self-motivation, punctuality, commitment to a task.
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Computer skills – Word, Outlook.
• Willingness to learn and follow newspaper style.
• Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Current driver’s licence.
Key selection criteria:
1. Successful completion of VCE
2. Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and to work with a diverse range of customers and stakeholders.
3. Good organisational skills to manage priorities and meet deadlines.
How to apply:
To be considered for this position, send your resumé, a 1-page cover letter addressing the key selection criteria and examples of any published work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants who are an Australian resident or hold a relevant visa are eligible to apply (NO VISA sponsorship).