Two assaulted in Seymour break-in

The Mitchell Crime Investigation Unit is appealing to anyone with information regarding an aggravated burglary in Seymour last week.

Two men were assaulted at a Smith Street, Seymour property about 6am on Thursday after two offenders forced entry into the house via the front door.

Mitchell CIU Detective Senior Constable Naomi Bennett said the offenders confronted an 18-year-old male inside the house and punched him several times before assaulting a 71-year-old male with a bat.

“Another occupant was woken up and confronted the offenders. They’ve then assaulted him to the head with a small bat of some description and he’s currently still in a stable condition at the Royal Melbourne Hospital,” she said.

Det Sen Const Bennett said police believe the offenders were known to the victims.

“Given the circumstances with nothing taken, it was likely that it was more targeted than random,” she said.

The 18-year-old male was not injured in the attack.

Both offenders fled on foot into bushland at the end of the street.

Det Sen Const Bennett said police believe someone would know something about the incident.

“It’s still early days so we don’t really know anything yet,” she said.

“We’re sure there’ll be someone who knows. Any information to Crime Stoppers would be good.

“We don’t believe it was random and the community shouldn’t feel unsafe.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the Mitchell CIU on 5735 0216.