Join our award-winning newspaper based in Kilmore.
We have been producing newspapers in the local area for more than 150 years and currently print 17,000 papers weekly, across three mastheads. Reporting to the General Manager/Editor, you will be part of a team of journalists reporting issues, events and sport across the Mitchell Shire, Macedon Ranges and City of Whittlesea.
This role involves writing news, sport and feature stories that lead the news agenda in our region and engage our local communities. The role is 4 days a week – flexibility with hours
is required. Local residents are encouraged to apply.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Write content to cover news and sport and generate stories to engage our strong
readership, while ensuring all deadlines are met.
- Uphold strong editorial standards and present all stories in a factual and unbiased manner.
- Taking high quality and engaging photographs.
- Write promotional advertorials for advertising customers.
- Engage with and generate reliable sources in the community.
- Use your investigative skills and contacts to uncover breaking news stories.
- Write and upload breaking news to our website.
- Follow the established newspaper style.
Required skills and background:
- Degree or cadetship equivalent in journalism.
- At least 1 year experience in writing for a newspaper and/or online publication.
- Willingness to engage in community events, liaise with community leadership
figures to deliver rich local content.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written and listening.
- Strong writing skills, with ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner
and correct use with context and grammar.
- High level of accuracy, demonstrated attention to detail, organisational skills and
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including evening and weekend work.
- Knowledge of Indesign, and Microsoft programs, in particular Word and Outlook.
- Experience in writing content for and managing social media accounts.
- Current, valid driver’s licence.
Key selection criteria:
- Possess strong news judgement and editorial policies.
- Demonstrated experience in creating content for print and online platforms.
- Sound research and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent organisational skills to manage competing priorities and work in order to
complete tasks at an appropriate standard and meet strict deadlines.
- Experience in building relationships with a diverse range of contacts.
How to apply:
To be considered for this position submit your resumé and cover letter to:
In your cover letter, please address the key selection criteria points.
Applications close May 22, 2020, with a view to start ASAP.
Only applicants who are Australian residents or hold a relevant visa are eligible to apply. No VISA sponsorship available.