MACEDON Ranges Shire Council is seeking nominations for its annual youth awards.
Council wants to hear about young people aged between 12 to 25 years who are doing amazing things in the community.
The youth awards celebrate and recognise the achievements of young people in the shire.
Nominations can be for any young person, or group of young people, aged between 12 and 25 years who lives, works or studies in the Macedon Ranges.
Council’s corporate and community director John Hausler said the awards were a great opportunity to recognise and acknowledge the inspirational work of young people, and to allow their work to be showcased.
“We are so lucky in the Macedon Ranges to have such an engaged community of young people, but some of the time the amount of work they put into creating positive change in the community can go unnoticed. The Youth Awards changes that,” he said.
Last year’s youth award winner Laura Crozier was awarded a Community Participation Award for her work with student voice and youth mental health, and for her volunteer work with groups such as the Victorian Student Representative Council.
“I’ve been fortunate to be nominated in the youth awards previously, and I feel excited for all the young people who will be nominated this year.
“I would encourage everyone in the Macedon Ranges to think about the young people they know, and to nominate them in the 2020 youth awards.”
Young people can be nominated in one of the following categories:
- Willpower: young people who show real character and perseverance, especially in the face of adversity;
- Good deeds: young people who give their time and energy to activities that support the wellbeing of another individual, group or community;
- Pure imagination: young people pursuing their passion for creativity through the arts;
Nicely played: young people kicking recreational and physical activity goals;
- Skilling it: young people excelling in a mentorship program, workplace or business;
- Well aware: young people who shine light on important issues/social causes and raises awareness in the community.
Nominations close on November 22, and forms can be lodged online at mrsc.vic.gov.au/youthawards.
Winners will be announced during an online 2020 Youth Awards event on December 12.
For more information, contact council’s youth services team on 5422 0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.