Federal funding worth $10 million is still required to see the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct through to completion.

MACEDON Ranges Shire Council has released a concept design for the Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Complex in New Gisborne and is inviting community feedback.

The concept design was released through an online webinar late last month where council officers gave an update on the project and representatives from design consultant City Collective talked through the design.

The Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct came from the amalgamation of two separate projects, the New Gisborne Sports Fields project and Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Hub in 2018.

The headlining feature of the project is a six-court indoor stadium featuring a show court.

The concept design includes two ovals for football and cricket, one made of natural grass used primarily for competition and another of synthetic grass for practice and potential matches or tournaments, both encircled by tracks for running and cycling and featuring grassed spectator areas.

Also included in the concept design are eight tennis courts, two multi-use courts for netball or tennis, and two new pavilions adjoining the ovals and tennis courts respectively.

The existing netball courts and pavilion will remain, along with the existing car park, which will be extended to 175 spaces.

Design consultant City Collective has experience working on similar projects including Craigieburn Sport Stadium and Surrounds, St Kilda Football Club’s RSEA Park Redevelopment in Moorabbin and Netball SA Community Precinct.

The concept design can be viewed on council’s website at mrsc.vic.gov.au/yoursay, where submissions can be made until 12pm on September 22.

The Macedon Ranges Regional Sports Precinct will be spread across two sites in Gisborne, on the corner of Barringo and Hamilton roads, including the existing Macedon Ranges Regional Netball Complex.

With the entire project estimated to cost $41.4 million to complete and just over half – $21.7 million – already committed by council, the State Government and AFL Victoria, the project will be completed in stages while additional funding is sought.

The committed funding is expected to allow completion of the design and first stage of construction.

Before her resignation, former chief executive Margot Stork said the sports precinct – council’s largest ever building project – would cater for a range of sports and recreational pursuits, while also attracting regional-level competition.

“The concept is being refined based on the previous feasibility studies, and guided by feedback from primary user groups, state sport associations and the Macedon Ranges community,” she said.

“Although in-person forums and public meetings are not possible at this time, council is committed to delivering this important project with vital community input.”

Leave a Reply