Tallarook wins back-to-back

Tallarook will begin its SDCA title defence by the end of October, according to association president Ben Trezise.

By Jackson Russell

Seven wickets from fast bowler Will Dundon has propelled Tallarook to back-to-back Seymour District Cricket Association A Grade premierships.

Playing at home, the 61-run win over Yea gave Tallarook the first back-to-back A Grade premiership in six years.

Dundon was named man of the match, taking 7/37 from 27 overs with 15 maidens.

Tallarook captain Lachlan Watts said he was proud of his team.

“It’s not something any side’s done in this league in a long time, winning back-to-back, so it means a lot,” he said.

“To be captain of your home club is a big thing so I’m very proud of the boys.”

Tallarook was in trouble early in its innings on Saturday, falling to 6/74 before a 113-run partnership between Kalon Winnell and Luke Marshall put them back on the right track.

Tallarook finished its 80 overs with a defendable total, making 9/197.

Opener Ben Cooney was the lone hope of Tallarook’s top order, making 26 before he was dismissed by Corey Malcolm, while none of the top five got out of single figures.

Cooney and Cameron Muir (21) started to get some momentum behind Tallarook with a 30-run partnership before Muir fell at the hands of Daniel Evans for the sixth wicket.

Luke Marshall stepped up for the hosts, making a season-high 62 before he was run out at 7/187.

Kalon Winnell also had his highest score of the season, making 50 before he was caught behind at 8/193.

Watts said he was confident heading into day two.

“It looked like we weren’t going to get too many early on so to end up on 197, we were pretty confident coming into Sunday,” he said.

Yea captain Marc Steiner was the Tigers’ best with the ball, taking 3/35 from 19 overs with eight maidens.

Tallarook carried its momentum through to day two with Will Dundon taking the two early wickets of Daniel Evans and Cameron Armstrong as Yea fell to 2/27.

Tallarook quick Will Dundon took 7/37 and was named Man of the Match in the SDCA’s A Grade grand final.

Evans popped one up to Jac Smith-Williams at mid-wicket while Armstrong was bowled when he shouldered arms and watched the ball take the top of off stump.

Yea was able to get their legs under them with a 50-run partnership between Damon Malcolm (32) and Steiner (43).

Mitch Itter took the breakthrough wicket of Malcolm, caught by Leigh Irving at 3/73.

Dundon got back on the scorecard, sending Chris Piggott (8) and Ryan Akers (7) on their way before sealing his five-for by dismissing Steiner as Yea fell to 6/112.

It was the beginning of the end for Yea as the Tigers were only able to put 24 more runs on the board.

Dundon finished his massive seven-wicket haul with the wickets of Darcy Pell (8) and Andrew Chisholm (0).

Watts praised the effort of Dundon, calling the quick a workhorse.

“It astounds me, to be honest, how he can keep charging in all day,” he said.

Tallarook captain Lachlan Watts successfully appeals for his side’s eighth wicket at Tallarook Recreation Reserve on Sunday.

“He hates being taken off. It’s the hardest thing to take him off, [he says] just one more over, just one more. His effort was phenomenal.”

The innings was finished by Watts, dismissing Andrew Butterworth leg before wicket, and Jarrod Flint, bowling Will Dalton.

Dundon said it was surreal to take seven wickets in a grand final.

“But it’s not really all me in this game, we were six for bugger all, then Luke [Marshall] and Kal [Winnell] toiled away so the seven-for isn’t just on me, it’s on those two as well,” he said.

“I wouldn’t have been able to take those wickets if it wasn’t for them.

“Back-to-back is huge and hopefully the club has a couple more to come.

“It would be grouse to see the club succeed even more.”